Followers

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Changing of the guard

I wanted to celebrate with news of a new Poet Laureate, Donald Hall, coming this fall.

Ted Koozer has shown great dedication to the post and I am appreciative of the publicity he has given poetry from his post. After two terms, I am very ready for the change.

I am especially ready for someone who is able to put more complexity on a page. While Hall is no Ashbery or Lowell, he is able to muster more depth to his work and I do not anticipate that he will divide the poetry dominion over accessibility.

Yes, he is another New Englander, but I am less concerned with the geography of where he is from and more with the geography of his mind. I am anxious and excited for his term to begin.

1 comment:

Lucindyl said...

:::doing a happy dance:::