Followers

Saturday, October 06, 2012

Writing and Family Response


HOW TO HELP FRIENDS AND FAMILY UNDERSTAND YOUR WRITING...

I saw this and it stood out like flickering neon. So, naturally I was drawn to read it. [FULL INTERVIEW HERE] The bonus was it's an interview with a poet whose work I greatly admire. 

Mary Biddinger tackles the anxiety that many poet have over family response. I'm not talking about criticism of the quality of one's writing - that could be another whole blog post.  Biddinger talks about the tendency to view what poets have written as autobiographical which can often lead to family and friends reading the poet into the poem literally or perhaps thinking they have been drug into the poem too. Hurt feelings, uncomfortable assumptions. Things less likely to plague an aspiring fiction writer then poet. 

Mary has notion as to what is partly to blame for this problem. It's also interesting to hear her perspective on all of this because she is teaches literature and poetry writing on a University level so she has experienced students who deal with this kind of anxiety but also has the personal contrast of growing up in an art rich family environment that understands the connection of artist to art. 

It's an interesting read. Speaking of which I can't wait to read her next volume of poetry due out this month titled O Holy Insurgency.




2 comments:

Marion said...

Thanks for sharing the super Mary Biddinger article. I find when I share my own poetry at my blog, I often have to add a disclaimer that it's FICTION or people inevitably react to it as autobiographical.

Also, I appreciate you introducing me to this poet. I promptly went to Amazon and bought her first two books. I read several of her poems online and I love her style. It's always a good day when I discover a new poet. Great post! xo

Michael A. Wells said...

Marion- her book Saint Monica I could not put down when it came. It's always exciting to know you have introduced someone to another poet.

Thanks for sharing!