Followers

Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Confession Tuesday - April Fools Edition

Dear Reader:

It's been one week of schizophrenic weather, a new baseball season, and several late night tread mill sessions since my last confessions.

It's April first and I committed to the Poem-A-Day Challenge for poetry month. Who's the April Fool now?

I confess that it has hit me the past two days that I have a lot going on presently with  poetry and then along comes my beloved Giants and the start of the new season - all this is pulling at my evening time and causing some anxiety. Family time, poetry time, baseball, exercise, what's a guy to do?

Perhaps this is accounting for my  headaches of late... the anxiety I mean. I'm always looking  it seems for things to link together. If this is happening it's in response to that. You get the picture. I have to confess that I'm not always exactly scientific about the process. I'm sure there is a name for people like this...  crazy wasn't what I was thinking of but  I guess we can use it  temperately as one of those place holder words we writers use in drafts.

The Poem-A-Day Challenge usually  makes me anxious when I've done it on the past.  Sometimes I  say I'm not committing to it  and end up trying to write a poem each day  like I'm sneaking up on the Challenge and taking it on in some kind of sneak attack. It's crazy, I know.  An there is that word again.

I confess my bug-a-boo with  the 30 Poems in 30 Days thing is I'm not crazy about writing  from forced prompts. I don't mind using prompts to kick-start ideas, I joust don't like to feel  on day 7 I must  writ about this prompt. I suppose it's a rebellious streak I have. In addition, I know that few people write "real" poems sitting down and writing  in one day. What usually occurs is a draft. Most often a very rough draft. One you really don't care to attach you name to and post out in the open.

Anyway, suffice to say that  I feel laden with anxiety as we kick off the month. But hey, that leaves lots of room for an improved outlook!

No comments: