Followers

Saturday, August 22, 2009

On Poetry: Ordinary objects can become beautiful through words - Norwich, CT - Norwich Bulletin

Enjoyed this column by A.S. Maulucci - poems don't always have to be about something profound. Sometimes the very ordinary can make for extraordinary writing.


On Poetry: Ordinary objects can become beautiful through words - Norwich, CT - Norwich Bulletin

By A.S. Maulucci

For The Norwich Bulletin

Posted Aug 21, 2009 @ 09:19 PM

Most of us form attachments to simple, everyday objects such as a coffee mug, a pen, a Swiss army knife or a pair of scissors. Ordinary things we love to use on a daily basis can be very beautiful and give us a great deal of pleasure. I have a thick Lucite ruler with drawings by Matisse that is not very practical for measuring things, but which I love to hold and use as a weight to keep a book open when I’m taking notes. This ruler has been in my possession for 40 years and has accompanied me through several major relocations. It sits on my desk as I write this.

Another treasured object is a small piece of driftwood picked up on a beach in the Hamptons. It flows like the cresting of a wave and is lovely to look at. It serves no practical purpose, but I have become very attached to it, and it too is well traveled.
Many poets have written poems in celebration of the beauty of simple objects such as these. One of my favorites is a poem by Pablo Neruda called “Ode to My Socks.” FULL COLUMN




Posted using ShareThis

No comments: