Followers

Thursday, August 27, 2009

This Week

anne-sexton

This week is my third week of taking on a different poet and focusing on his/her work. Actually thus far they have all been female. Week one was Kim Addonizio.  While not new to me, I did read her very first published book which is out of print, but for the life of me I can’t figure out why it hasn't been re-released.  It was exceptional.

Last week I read some material of Anne Sexton’s. Again, Sexton is far from new to me but I think I found a new way of looking at her. And on that note, I’m making Sexton my dead poet mentor. (more about this in a later post)

This week I’m reading Carolyn Forche. Actually I only started reading it yesterday as It took a little longer in transit then I had hoped. Forche is really new to me. At least her poetry. I read some interesting journal bits of hers during this last year so I was prepared to look at her poetry with a very curious mind. The book I’m reading is The Country Between us. (I plan to talk about this in a future post as well)

One of the things I’ve been thinking a lot about the past few days is how I view musicality in poetry. Beside that I toyed with a sonnet last week. I rarely attempt sonnets so this was me stepping out a bit. Taking risks I suppose. Writing without the comfort of a safety net.

No comments: