Followers

Monday, February 07, 2005

A breakthrough

I was back at it yesterday. Hammering away at this poem that has been in the making now for over a week. Almost to my amazement, I seemed to have a breakthrough. I worked on it in the morning and stopped just after noon. I had a 3 pm writers group ~ and shortly after lunch I decided to try to retool it a bit more and take it with me. I was glad I did.

Really good feedback from the group has given me both the feeling that I am near where I want to be on this and at the same time exactly where I need to work on it. I decided to do nothing more on it last night, rather to let it rest. I'll likely take it up again tonight with my notes from yesterday. I'd like to get this to a final draft by Wednesday night's reading at Boarders Books.

An excerpt of the poem Tiananmen Mother follows:
The Beijing breeze whispers/ mournful strophes./ Tears like the mountain rains/
follow slopes// to tributaries until they become one /with the rippling waters of the Yangtze.//

2 comments:

GK said...

Oooh, nice. Are you going to post the rest of the poem here?

After reading yours, I decided to upload my own poem about Tiananmen Square on my blog. It's a previously published poem - which I wrote after a trip to Beijing in 1997. Come drop by sometime, to see.

Michael A. Wells said...

Not just yet. I may do an audio blog this weekend. Haven't decided. I'm looking at a couple of submission options.

Thanks for your comments. I did take a look at your post. Enjoyed the read.

Thanks!