Followers

Monday, February 27, 2006

Speaking of Olympics

In conjunction with an earlier post where I indicated that I found Curling to be interesting, I found a few interesting quotes related to the subject. Hope you will enjoy them along with me.


  • We'll explain the appeal of curling to you if you explain the appeal of the National Rifle Association to us. ~Andy Barrie, Canadians to Americans
  • It's not just a rock. It's forty-two pounds of polished granite, with a beveled underbelly and a handle a human being can hold. Okay, so in and of itself it looks like it has no practical purpose, but it's a repository of possibility. And, when it's handled just right, it exacts a kind of poetry - as close to poetry as I ever want to get. The way it moves.... Not once, in everything I've done, have I ever felt the same wonder and humanity as when I'm playing the game of curling. ~Paul Gross, John Krizanc, and Paul Quarrington, Men with Brooms
  • Curling is not a sport. I called my grandmother and told her she could win a gold medal because they have dusting in the Olympics now. ~Charles Barkley
  • If curling were easy, they'd call it hockey. ~Author Unknown
  • I get my rocks off curling. ~Saying of the sport
  • I'm a curling addict - I need a hit, and I want to get stoned! ~Author Unknown

A couple of other fund quotes in honor of the Winter Games:

  • I think my favorite sport in the Olympics is the one in which you make your way through the snow, you stop, you shoot a gun, and then you continue on. In most of the world, it is known as the biathlon, except in New York City, where it is known as winter. ~Michael Ventre, L.A. Daily News
  • Stretch pants - the garment that made skiing a spectator sport. ~Author Unknown
  • Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country. ~Steven Wright

Tags:

No comments: