Followers

Saturday, May 03, 2008

Feeling a Little Droopy

Last night I was watching a movie with my wife, and my daughter and the latter asks what wrong with my mouth, I have that "Rachael Ray" look? She adds that by that, she was inferring that my mouth looked like it was crooked. I was tired and dismissed her comment thinking nothing more of it. This morning I got up and went to the computer room where my wife is at work and speak with her and all of a sudden my mouth feels different. I said nothing about it, but went to the bathroom and looked in the mirror. As I moved my mouth, sure enough the movement was all on my left side, which is not a pretty sight when one speaks. Certain word sounds were not easily rolling from my mouth.

There was a moment where the word stroke entered my mind, but the rest of my right side appeared to function fine. No problems with my hand or feet. Then I realized that I could not fully close my right eye. As I related these things to my wife, she did a search on the Internet for Bells Palsy. Had my grandmother not been inflicted with it about 20 years ago, nether of us would have thought to consider it, but as we read, the symptoms were classics.
  • comes on suddenly often after an illness epically viral
  • often the victims are diabetics
  • Causes drooping of one side of the mouth
  • effects the eye on the dame side
  • There is a partial loss of taste

My wife called our doctor and he recommended an emergency room visit just to rule out anything else but was relatively certain that is what it was. The conclusion after visiting the hospital was the same.

I have been under the weather for about 4 days. My sinuses have been bothering me but this was more than just that. Basically it is thought that somehow a nerve in the inflicted side of the face is impacted causing a paralysis to that side of the face.

I'm sure there are worse things that could have happened to be but this is frustrating and unnerving. It usually is not permanent. Paralysis can last for weeks to maybe three months. Usually there is full recovery, however there is a rare case where there may remain some residual paralysis or drooping in the face. Oh, it also affects my sinus drainage on the right side of my face and that along with the fact that my tear ducts in my right eye aren't working remain by two biggest physical annoyances. Eating seems a little more challenging and presently I am not really excited about being out in public. I am slated to do a poetry reading at a very public event middle of the month an that is weighing heavy on my mind.

Now I'm on steroids (I suppose I should use this time to my advantage on my video baseball game) and an anti-viral. Can this weekend get any more exciting? sigh

5 comments:

Fenny Sterenborg said...

I hope you'll be better soon :)

Lucindyl said...

I'm so sorry, Michael, and am very relieved to hear that it usually isn't permanent.

So how long did it take you to start mulling over the situation for poetic potential?

You're in our prayers.

C.

Michael A. Wells said...

Fenny:

Thank, I hope so too.

Cindy:

Prayers are always goo. :)

Actually my wife asked me about the poetry potential from this, I'm having a hard time at this point connecting the two.

Ivy said...

Oh, Michael -- I'm sorry to hear about this. Hope you feel better soon.

Michael A. Wells said...

Ivy...

Thanks...

It's been a week now and there is only minor change in the paralysis. My eye is better and can close about halfway. Part of it is self luberacating with tear and the other part still requires aftifical tears. The part that works seems like it overcompensates or something because every once an a while a long trail of tear runs down my face.

I speak much slower and I think I'm hard to understand. Anyway, I get tired just listening to myself in conversation. Pretty much sucks. Still, I'm thankful that this is not permenent. At least I hope not.