A few facts about homelessness...
- Research indicates that 40% of homeless men have served in the armed forces, as compared to 34% of the general adult population.
- Persons with severe mental illness represented about 26 percent of all sheltered homeless persons.
- 35% of the homeless people who are members of households with children are male while 65% of these people are females.
- 25% of homeless were ages 25 to 34; the same study found percentages of homeless persons aged 55 to 64 at 6%.
- Children under the age of 18 accounted for 39% of the homeless population; 42% of these children were under the age of five (National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty, 2004). This same study found that unaccompanied minors comprised 5% of the urban homeless population.
Learn more here