Followers

Friday, July 15, 2011

Magpie Tales-73 : Poem: Citizen Athlete

White cap waves
Atlantic in origin
breed man's self-indulgence
from biceps digging 
in the waters to full
blown sails pushing waterline
the nonchalant splash and slap
or power about breast
strokes their propulsion.
On the shore the fun
spills over - flat hand paddles
bang out points over
makeshift netting.
By night Martha's Vineyard
crawls with crab meat and oysters
soothing the hunger pangs
of the citizen athlete. 



2011© Michael A. Wells




*photo credit: People of Chilmark, Thomas Hart Benton, 1920

5 comments:

Henry Clemmons said...

Very descriptive. I really liked it.

http://henryclemmonspoet.blogspot.com/2011/07/we-are-what-is.html

Michael A. Wells said...

A little different - but it was the take that came to me. I was really a little surprised at the painting because I'm accustomed to associating Benton only with Missouri. He had a storied life here in Missouri. His work graces our state capital in Jefferson City. I lived for many years not 5 minutes from the Benton home - which is open to the public these days and I have visited it.

Henry thanks for stopping by!

Helen said...

Your stomping ground may be Missouri, but you captured Martha's Vineyard well! Missouri is in my blood too .. I'm headed there on Wednesday - for three weeks!

Michael A. Wells said...

Thanks Helen!

Tess Kincaid said...

I love the bold, strong textures here, Michael.