Followers

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Can A Person Be Reading Too Many Books?

It comes down to this... I'm wondering if a person can be reading too many books?  I suppose you can say that the answer to this question is subject subjective... each person is different. That answer works up to a point. If I were to tell you I am actively reading maybe eight or nine books right now would you think this crazy?

The fact is I do often read multiple books and quite frankly I'd say eight-ish is likely an accurate count if I were to sit down and list them. Do others have a ongoing host of books commanding their attention at one time? I haven't even mentioned the poetry books on my night stand that I've already read but continue to go back to from time to time, often in the evening to read two or three random works before I retire.

Yes, I could finish books faster if I stuck to one book at a time, but my mind gets easily fragmented into different areas and causes me to in any given week want to be feeding  my divergent interests. Is that such a bad thing?

I guess what I am wondering is... am I an enigma? Please, someone tell me that I'm not the only person who scatter reads multiple books at one time. Humor me, even if you would never think of it.

3 comments:

Marion said...

I think people are nuts who do NOT read several books at a time. I keep a chick lit, bestseller, poetry, mystery, biography, true crime, drama, sci-fi, memoir and several more I can't recall going at the same time. I'm currently reading 5 books and 3 magazines. I 'read' one at night on CD. I'm a light sleeper and I wake up and start the CD where I left off. I finally figured a way to read in my sleep. LOL! But, I'm a bit of a book-slut.

I've been this way since I learned to read at age 5. I hope to read myself to death. My only fear is that I die in the middle of a great book and don't know the ending. Sooooo, you're definitely not alone. I'm sure there are many, many more like us. xo

Lucinda said...

I have multiple books going most of the time, but usually they're representative of multiple genres or subjects. For instance, I might be reading a biography, a poetry collection, a fiction book, a book on teaching, a book on personality theory, and a book on writing craft all at once. I don't usually read multiple books about the same thing.

So no, you're not crazy. Or if you are, you've got company, at least.

Michael A. Wells said...

LOL - Good company at that!