Followers

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Understanding


"What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print." ~Isadora Duncan
I saw this quote and though what a curious thing to say. It may reveal much about my my own personal view of poetry.
There are two separate points to be made here. One is the untellable aspect that if you haven't lived my life - what I write will not mean the same to you as it means to me.
The other is that deeper aspect that sometimes what we write from the soul we don't even fully recognize ourselves. Sort of the duende that Federico GarcĂ­a Lorca spoke of. I firmly accept the premise that there are truths from deep within that we are occasionally able to unearth in our poetry or art that remain somewhat of a mystery us and therefore cannot easily be explained to others.

No comments: