Followers

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Is it my position to say what my poetry is like?

"Some people who write about poetry seem to have had trouble with my poetry because it is sometimes comic. I don't think the nature of my poetry is satirical or even ironic, I think it's essentially lyrical, but again I don't know if it's my position to say what my poetry is like." ~ Kenneth Koch


I remember someone saying that a person's voice when recorded sounds like how other people here you rather than how you sound to yourself. Now I don't know how anyone is supposed to know that, but I fully understand how one's poetry comes across differently to different people. I suppose we all have this image in our head that describes our own poetry. A view that is not always going to be shared by others. I don't mean good verses bad, I talking about a more descriptive image of how we write.

As an example, I see myself as writing from a serious to a sardonic-comic state most of the time and almost never in between those two points. Much of my work has political / social implications and if it is not within that element, it will often be of a more confessional nature. My work is often edgy or dark. Though lately, I've been able to move somewhat beyond that. Still, it is suited well to my voice. At least that is how I see myself.

I do move between two points, one being fairly straight forward or accessible. The other, very abstract. I rather like the latter and would like to write more often from a surrealist point of view, however, at times I have trouble freeing myself sufficiently to allow such writing.

I suspect, having said, there are a gazillion other points of view to describe my poetry. Isn't that how it is supposed to be?

Tags:

No comments: