Followers

Monday, May 15, 2006

Monday ugh!

Monday is not my favorite day of the week anyway, and it seemed this weekend went way to fast for my liking.

Saturday, my daughter Meghan and I did a bike ride. It was not a competitive one and I, unlike her, am not particularly experienced in any rides of great length. In fact, I have not really ridden in years.

This was a 16 mile ride and I bailed at 11 miles. Admittedly I was having problems with the lower gears on the bike, but still, I pushed myself to get to 11 miles. I don't think this is the end of riding for me, but the gear issue is going to have to be dealt with or switch out the bike for another one.

Sunday we celebrated mother's day. I think we all agreed that we ate too much, but otherwise had a good day. It was a long one for my wife, but I think she have a good day otherwise.

I did a wee bit of writing over the weekend, but really not enough make any fuss over here. Read a few poems, but again I was mostly busy with other stuff.

Since it was mother's day I actually spent a fair amount of time thinking about relationships with mothers. I think this was helped by reading the poem "Drowning" by Sharon Olds, in which she describes all of these grown daughters together discussing their fears for their children, all the while each has a mother (their own) bearing down on their neck as they are submerged.

I think mother-daughter relationships are most intricate. Perhaps I am coming from a skewed view - my own relationship with my father was non-existent so I suppose it is not fair for me to judge mother-daughter relationships as any more of less of anything by comparison to father-son. Still, I think they seem more complex than a mother-son relationship.

2 comments:

Michael A. Wells said...

Casey: I'm sorry but I am a firm beliver in honoring copyrights. The poem is in Sharon Old's 1981 book of poems titled "Satan Says" and I have not found an internet link to it. I usually wit cite them by link if they are available elsewhere on line.

Hope this is helpful.

Lucindyl said...

Regarding the complexity of mother-daughter relationships, I think the good ones are something like Celtic knots, and the bad ones are something like a Celtic knot nightmare! :)

Michael, sending someone a single handcopied poem as part of a letter (or one included in a personal--and single--email) isn't a breach of copyright, is it? (No question about putting something on the Web without permission!) And then, of course, short pieces or excerpts can be copied for educational purposes/class use, yes?

Had to get out the book and look up the poem again. I'd not looked at Satan Says in a long time, although for the last two days I've been dipping into The Wellspring and The Unswept Room. Good nudge. Thanks.