Followers

Thursday, July 12, 2007

That rare connection

I was reading the interview of David Yessl by Bernard Chapin mentioned in an earlier post and I was captivated by a statement attributed to Yvor Winters, "The greatest poems are worth waiting for (and wading through a lot of inferior stuff). In many cases, it is not until a poet gives voice to a particular emotion by rendering it in words that one can experience it fully for the first time."

Thinking about this special link, how personal it is. How even really great poems are not going to provide such personal connectivity to every reader. Rare occurrence indeed. I suppose these occasions often go unacknowledged to the poet. Reducing even further any awareness the poet may have to such attribution, quite minuscule. Very sad to consider.

2 comments:

Lucindyl said...

Oh, that is so true. The first time I picked up one of Jane Kenyon's books, I wasn't in the least impressed or interested. A few years later, and she became one of the very few poets whose books I reread repeatedly, one I'm not sure I could live without.

As for acknowledging the impact such poets and poems have on us, I do often contact a poet (or essayist or short story writer) to do that and have been surprised when they respond that this rarely happens. One man emailed back expressing his surprise that there were even "real people" out there reading his work.

That said, your post reminds me that I have never written Mary Oliver to tell her how very important her poetry was (and, of course, still is) to me at a very difficult time. I think she and another writer (now dead) actually saved my life back then. A letter is sadly overdue. Thanks for the kick in the pants, Michael

Michael A. Wells said...

Cindy - You're welcome for the kick in the pants :)

I suppose I don't often drop notes to writers, but the last two that I did resulted in a very nice responses from the authors and I am not talking about form letters.
That suggests to me that for them to hear from a reader was in fact a significant affirmation to their work.

By the way, I almost always find your blog posts especially interesting. (hint-hint) :)