Followers

Monday, August 17, 2009

Thoughts about Modern Confessional

I’ve always been almost as interested in biographical information and interviews of poets as their work itself. My own twitter bio says, “The Poem Is My Bio.”  This evening I read an interesting interview with Rachel Zucker by Publisher’s Weekly.

Zucker speaks of an awkward situation concerning her book The Bad Wife Handbook when her oldest son said to her sheepishly, “I couldn’t sleep last night and I went into the living room and I read your book.” Then he asked, “What does it mean to be a bad wife?”  It had never occurred to her that her audience for the book would include her son.

Zucker makes an interesting point concerning writing so frankly about her family.  “I have the choice about whether to publish these poems, but I don’t think I had the choice about whether to write them.” 

1 comment:

Dana said...

I just saw her read last weekend as part of the Wave Books Weekend Poetry Festival here in Seattle.