Followers

Monday, May 10, 2004

Whose Voice Is It Anyhow?

I read this article about Robert Pinsky's visit to University of California Irvine to discuss poetry. Pinsky of course a past U.S. Poet Laureate. The following struck me with interest:

"Poetry is supposed to be said by the literal or imagined voice of the reader. Poetry is a unique art whose medium is the audience body," Pinsky said. "It isn't the poet's voice, it is the voice of whoever reads the poem."


I like the analogy of the reader being the medium, and I am not adverse to the idea that once a piece of poetry goes public, it is subject to varied and broad interpretation. But what then happens to the concept of a writer "finding his or her voice?" This seems like contrasting views and yet I can visualize both, though with difficulty in the same breath.

Something to think about further tonight I suppose.