Followers

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Art in Words

I was reading an article about Laura McCullough and her book The Dancing Bear. For her, writing poetry is about discovery and she says that her poetry helps her explore her obsessions. [source] I have thought about this in the context of the confessional school but even as I write more and more stream of conscinence material to begin first drafts, I believe there is a lot of discover to be had even in more abstract work. Sometimes this produces the most surprising imagry in this art. We are not intentionally driving a piece in a certain direction trying to hammer some specific idea, meaning or image into the poem. To me, this, perhaps more than anything else, is justification for the free verse form.


~
Select lines from Robert Lowell's Epilogue:
I hear the noise of my own voice: / The painter's vision is not
a lens, / it trembles to caress the light. / But sometimes everything I write
with the threadbare art of my eyes / seems a snapshot, /

~
Poet's Quote of the Day:
"The more articulate one is, the more dangerous words become." ~ May Sarton

1 comment:

Cynthia Bronco said...

Good quote.
I think those of us who love words are more careful when choosing invectives!