Followers

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Surprised

Haiku has never been one of my stronger forms. For all the simplicity of it, I guess I try and complicate things. At any rate I'm never happy with them.

A short while back, my wife e-mailed me a link to a site that was sponsoring a local contest related to creating better awareness to air quality issues. They were looking for haikus to express the cause. You could submit once a week for four weeks. I composed three or four. Sent the one I was happiest with. I intended to enter once a week, but got busy and forgot.

This week I got a call and was told that I had won a bike from a local cycling store that was partnering with the organization for the contest. There were three first place prizes - all bikes - awarded. So I get to go pick out a Giant - Cypress. I would never have guessed my entry would win. Exciting!

2 comments:

Lucindyl said...

I tried to write hai-
ku to congratulate you.
But this happened. Poo.

A comrade in poetic genius,
Cindy

Applause for the haiku (yours, obviously) and the bike. Most excellent work!

Michael A. Wells said...

Cindy-

Thanks for the smile. I could not help but get a kick out of reading your comment.