Followers

Monday, February 26, 2007

A Night at the Oscars from My Comfy Couch

I don't always watch them. In fact I did for years and then just sort of grew away from it but I did tune in last night. The funny thing is I really didn't see anything this year that was up for awards.

I think my interest this year was sparked a bit by the fact that in one way or another I felt connected because of a common thread of creativity. There were a couple of nominations that I did hope would be winners.

  • An Inconvenient Truth for Best Documentary Feature - which won
  • Two Hands for Best Documentary Short Subject - which didn't
  • Happy Feet for Best Animated Feature Film - which won
  • Peter O'Toole in Venus for Best Actor - which didn't

So I guess I was batting .500

I think the best line of the night has to go to Melissa Etheridge who won for her song "I Need to Wake Up" from An Inconvenient Truth when she said, "This is the only naked man that will ever be in my bedroom."

I know many tune in to see who is wearing what, but from an environmental standpoint it bothers me to see people spend lavishly thousands of dollars for a dress that they will wear one time. Is this really the best use of our renewable resources?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately the all-hemp ball gown with free-range seashell sequins just doesn't quite cut it these days. But I agree any gala event is a bizarre show of disparity in this world.