Followers

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Ten Reasons Rejection Letters Aren't All That Bad

  1. They are much preferred over bills.
  2. They are tangible confirmation in the existence of life forms elsewhere.
  3. You can wallpaper your room with them.
  4. In a pinch they can be used as backup for toilet paper.
  5. They remind us to recycle our work elsewhere.
  6. You can write new drafts on the back of them.
  7. They can help demonstrate to the IRS that your writing was not profitable this year.
  8. In large quantities, they may establish you as an authority on rejection, which gives you the basis for writing a profitable book on the subject.
  9. Mementos for the grandchildren
  10. They are like a losing lottery ticket they you didn't have to buy.

4 comments:

Lucindyl said...

Got one yesterday. Sometimes this is discouraging. Sometimes it's a relief if I think I may have found a better market and am itching to send a specific piece out again.

#4 got an evil chortle.

Michael A. Wells said...

Cindy: glad I could help with the evil chortle. I've been told that I can be quite incorrigible.

Aleah Sato said...

Most editors choose poems that speak to them, personally, and assume their taste is equal to that of their readers. Once you accept this, you don't get that discouraged over a rejection.

Michael A. Wells said...

Thanks Aleah~

Actually, I was just having some fun with this. I have long since gotten past the time when a rejection letter ruined my day. ;)