Followers

Friday, July 23, 2010

Journalism Legend Daniel Schorr Dies At 93 : NPR

 

July 23, 2010

Daniel Schorr, a longtime senior news analyst for NPR and a veteran Washington journalist who broke major stories at home and abroad during the Cold War and Watergate, has died. He was 93.

I was saddened to learn of the passing of Daniel Schorr today. To me he was an institution. While in recent years his deep reassuring voice graced the radio waves via NPR, I recall his earlier network days and during the 70’s when at the height of the Vietnam War / Watergate era, his no-nonsense reporting earned him a spot on Nixon’s famed enemy list.  While he won numerous awards, it seems funny to me, at that juncture in my life I felt making Nixon’s list was the ultimate prize.

I had no idea he was 93, I suppose I just never gave it much thought. As an avid NPR listener I would listen to him throughout the week and especially his weekend edition wrap up of the events of the week. His mind was sharp right up to the last time I heard him.

His analytical view of world events was generally in step with my own point of view on things… but in the occasional instance where we differed, his arguments were none the less sound and would give me pause for consideration. While rare, he was capable of turning my thinking on things, but the rarity of this has more to do with the amount of mutuality of thought and less on his often convincing arguments.

His voice was deep and resonated well on radio. If there was anyone who was born for radio, he was surely it.

I already feel a void on the radio dial.

Dan Schorr Memorial Special

Journalism Legend Daniel Schorr Dies At 93 : NPR

 

Technorati Tags:

No comments: