Followers

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Squall

Squall - Andrew Wyeth - 1986



Gray rolling over swelling blue.
White foam cresting, dropping;
slapping the blue over and over.

The sky darkening quickly
a smokey gray, a dirty dray,
bullet gray and now charcoal.

Winds swirl my hair every which way.
My scalp actually pains under pressure.
Waves whack shoreline rocks repeatedly.

Each tide washes higher- a mist rises over me.
My face wet, my lips taste of salt. 
I lean now with the wind.

The water, darker now
seemingly has swallowed the sky;
the two joined in force- rolling in.




Michael A. Wells

The Mag



11 comments:

Berowne said...

S F Giants?
You'll never get away, Buster, posing...
As Buster Posey. :-)

Berowne said...

S F Giants?
You'll never get away, Buster, posing...
As Buster Posey. :-)

Tess Kincaid said...

Oh delicious...this one was really fun to read out loud...

Kathe W. said...

I was in the middle of the storm reading this! Great!

Unknown said...

When I arrived at the phrase about leaning in the wind, I was leaning too. I love how you captured of the developing storm here, Michael. Your phrasing is so sensual. Thank you for sharing.

Ginny Brannan said...

Can feel the winds blowing, the salt on my lips as I read your poem. Great capture!

Sue J said...

There's nothing quite like a good storm and a rough sea. Nicely written.

Susan Anderson said...

What a nice flow this has...rather like the sea, in fact.

Good one!

=)

Margaret said...

seemingly has swallowed the sky

Yes, I have stood upon the shore, with approaching storm and witnessed this!

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Oh good stuff! Understand the sea and sky thing.

Anna :o]

~T~ said...

A vivid description. Lovely!